Sunday, June 8, 2014

Remembering to blog

 
 I have to say that it is hard to remember to blog. I want to do blog weekly but I can not remember to do it. My excuses are that it's summer time so everyone is out of school. I am also watching two children during the week and after they leave it's back to the "life of the wife", cooking, dishes and making sure the house is back to normal. You know all those fun things. Also being almost eight months pregnant makes me a little tired at the end of the day. I guess should be happy to post when I can.

The finished product
I know last time I mentioned that I was going to post about the quilt I was going to make for our new son's room. Bedding sets are so expensive and I can't seem to find anything I like. I decided to make his bedding. I saw a pin on Pinterest that helped inspire me. The picture I saw was of a little girls quilt. Well since were having a little boy I thought this would be more appropriate.

If your scared of sewing this is a super easy project. It's all straight lines. I basically just measured the crib and used that as the size of my quilt. Then I just cut the strips of fabric. I should mention that I didn't do any measuring when I cut the strips of fabric. Honestly I hate to measure and I am for the most part a good guesser. I did measure to make sure the strips would equal the right length of the crib.

Then I sewed the strips together with a quarter inch seam allowance. If you can sew in a straight line, you got this!

I bought batting at the fabric store that said it was for baby blankets. I know there are a bunch of different kinds and thicknesses but that is to confusing to me. I like easy and fast. I then cut the batting to match the size of all the strips I cut and sewed together previously.

I found this fabric at Walmart as I was looking at things I shouldn't be looking at (fabric). It's called minkie fabric. It's stretchy and kind of hard to cut but it is so soft and silky that I had to have it.


The back of the blanket.
I laid the pieces on top of each other, kind of like a sandwich and cut the minkie fabric to fit. Then this is where it gets a little tricky. I honestly had no clue what I was doing and basically guessed. I will give credit to my mom. She is great at sewing and I had to ask her what I was to do next.

 
Me trying to stitch in the ditch.
She said I had to "stitch in the ditch" it's where you take your sandwiched pieces; top, batting and backing and sew in the ditch or seam of where you sewed them (the top pieces) together.

If your doing the minkie as the back fabric as I did, please make sure you use a lot of pins. That fabric is a little slippery and likes to stretch.

After that is all said and done. I took blanket binding and sewed the binding around the edges of the blanket. That stuff is slippery also so make sure you take your time and don't stress to much. My blanket SO isn't perfect but I didn't care. This is my first quilt and I was more proud that I completed it then any and all the mistakes that are in it.

After it's all said and done I washed it in the washer and dried it in the dryer. Yes I was scared it was going to fall apart but it survived!!! When people look at it they don't see all the flaws they see a beautiful baby blanket.

I did another project but didn't take any pictures of the process I will have to remember to do that. But as they say practice make perfect... Well lets hope. :)

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment